My Journey...

Of events and incidents that affect me...

Sunday, May 07, 2006

The extent of sibling rivalry...

I just came back from Tirupati.Due to the heavy rush we had to wait for long hours before the darshan.On one such occasion a lady sat in front of me holding her younger daughter who was around 2 years old .Her elder daughter was sitting just beside her who was around 5 years of age.It reminded me of my days with my younger sister and mother and smiled to myself.Just then the younger one spotted a fancy watch on her sister’s hands.. she wanted it.The elder one declined.Then the small girl got her mother’s attention and started to cry wanting the watch. The mother also requested the elder girl to give the baby the watch but the elder one refused.She said she was tired of giving the younger one all her things!( I continued to smile as I remember similar things happening and my parents always asking me to give stuff to my sister.I had then refused.. now obviously nothing like that happens!) The younger one then threw a tantrum and seeing that she wasn’t getting any success,she angrily,clumsily walked ahead where her grandmother(I assumed) carried her and drew her attention to something more attractive and colorful!A common sight of siblings fighting is what I thought and then immediately for the nth time in the day was reminded of the Pramod Mahajan incident.
Its really sad that a brother could shoot and kill another brother. Mr. Pramod Mahajan was one of the few politicians I liked… I used to watch him participate in the Big Fight debate on NDTV and always thought he was a great orator. He was a media savvy person and atleast for any average person like me watching news, he was very much likeable. I believed that he would become the PM one day.. but that wasn’t meant to happen.It was shocking when I first heard that he was shot, that too by his brother who went and surrendered himself. The entire situation was too bizarre.. but as days passed I hoped that like any film movie’s happy ending, Mr. Pramod Mahajan would battle it out. I kept myself updated by watching the news and reading up stuff about him. The media did some detailed research on him and his life.. Though I got to know the darker aspects of his life and that he wasn’t such an honest politician after all.. he still didn’t deserved this,that too from a brother whom he had helped a lot.
Today at a party my uncle was discussing how Pravin Mahajan would’ve been tortured maybe from his wife and friends which led to the frustration in him to kill his brother.I wonder if the truth ever comes out, but I hope that the guilty be punished.. very severely.
Sibling rivalry is ok..but killing your own brother or sister is so insane.
But this incident has shaken up many. Today the papers reported that Mr. Chandrababu Naidu has patched up his differences with his younger brother!!
The bottom line remains that a dispute between two brothers has cost BJP its most promising leader and the more I read about him, it makes me more sad that we have lost an important leader.Its a bit scary realizing the extent to which sibling rivalry/fight can go.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Pravin killed pramod, not due to sibling rivalry but due to depression with which he was suffering. We all feel jealous at other's success, the extent gets intensified when it is someone nearer to you like ur childhood friend or a brother, and if the successful person is a lil arrogant (i think pramod was), the loser feels like being a dirt (as pravin confessed) and in a bout of anger, he is probable to do horrible things as in this case. so, in short, it is not sibling rivalry of childhood.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counter
hit Counter